Hi everybody, in my company we have a VPN service powered by OpenVpn, a standard configuration between a linux server and many windows client.
As you now, lately I've reinstalled Xp and I have some problems when configuring OpenVPN Client.
The problem is known (the openvpn website explain that) after installing XP ServicePack 2, there are some problem with windows firewall and TAPI network adapter in configuration with a dhcp openvpn server.
Now, I give you more information about my successful configuration.
1. Install OpenVpn 2.1 Rc7 (tha last at this time)
2. Disable Or configure firewall for TAP Interface
3. Download devcon.exe from Microsoft website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
4. Rename the TAP connection in MyTap
5. Identify the interface ID on TAP interface using : devcon hwids =net @root\NET\*
In my case tap0901
6. Create two .bat file in the OpenVPN config directory:
devcon enable tap0901
devcon disable tap0901
OpenVPN Gui launch this two file when start and close the connection ( note the name of the configfile )
remote server 1194
tls-auth ta.key 1
8. Start OpenVpn (using ConfigFileName file of course )
Another information, if you have the same subnet network class at home and at office you have to setting the metric of a TAP interface at a lower value than Etherter connection metric.
Good VPN to all!